It’s a few days before the deadline to officially participate and I thought I would clear up any last minute questions. Most of the following information can be found on our Nutrition Challenge Page.
You are either in or you are out. No program modifications. No half-stepping.
1. Upfront: $20 for prize money. Must be paid via CASH at the front desk of Vanguard Gym / CrossFit Manassas. Due by Sunday, January 12th at 12:00pm. No exceptions, no late-comers.
2. Take 3 photos of yourself: front, back, and right side (profile). Men: Shorts, no shirt. Think, compression sorts, swim trunks. Ladies: Bathing Suit, Sports bra and shorts. Everyone should be going for ‘high speed, no drag’ when it comes to the clothing choices. You will need the same clothes for the ‘after shots’. YES, they must be the EXACT same clothes, try to keep everything about the photos the same. We need this to be fair.
These photos need to be sent in with the first weekly spreadsheet and will be kept private.
3. Take Measurements. This is an important baseline. If you have a friend who can help you measure, it might be easier. If you need Coach Jenny to help, just ask! Here’s what we need:
- Neck at Adam’s apple for men, neck at mid point for women.
- Circumference of chest at nipple height.
- Waist at belly button.
- Hips at widest point. That certainly includes your glutes.
- Right Thigh, six inches above the top of the knee cap.
- Right Calf at widest point.
- Right Forearm at widest point.
- Right Wrist where you wear your watch.
- Right Bicep equidistant between elbow and top of shoulder.
5. Download the challenge spreadsheet and record your data.
The Challenge Worksheet has individual sheets for recording all of your challenge related data: your measurements, workouts, daily points, and nutrition details. You must enter all the starting and ending measurements and workout scores, as well as daily points and nutrition data.
6. Track Your Food
You must record 3 days of food intake four different times: Week 1, Week 3, Week 5, and Week 6.
Either use a free account on an online calorie/nutrition tracker or use the sheet provided in our challenge spreadsheet (i.e. Livestrong/My Plate, My Fitness Pal, FitDay, etc.)
7. Record your data. We use a point system to track your commitment. Here’s how you earn points:
- Complete a daily CrossFit Manassas Workout / Vanguard Gym Martial Arts class and comment on the blog: 3 points for each workout/class. No more than 6 total points per week.
Not only do we want you to workout, we want you to tell us about it. If you participate in the CrossFit Manassas WOD, share how you did on the blog post each time you workout. If you participate in the Martial Arts, please comment on this page!
Your score will be based out of 2 workouts per week. This keeps it fair regardless of Vanguard Gym membership plan.
- Eat Clean: 5 points maximum per day.
You can earn up to 5 points per day. If you follow the approved foods list to the letter – 5 points. If you have a beer or wine with dinner – 4 points. If you have 2 glasses of wine – 3 points. If you go to Five Guys – 0 points for the day! Get the point? The carbs are to be eaten only within 1-2 hours after your workout or class. Other than that window, NO CARBS – except what’s in the veggies.
Review the Approved Foods List to see what is allowed.
- Share Knowledge: 1 point per day.
You can earn one point (per day) for sharing a recipe, article, or some other sort of tip or trick that will help your Challenge teammates be better at eating and living a healthier lifestyle. It needs to be relevant or it may not count (Coach Jenny’s discretion). Share your knowledge by leaving a comment on this page.
NOTE: if you share a recipe posted online, be sure to include a link and attribution to where you found it.
- Bonus Points – keep your eyes peeled to the website for more info as the weeks progress. This could be a biggie.
8. Email your spreadsheet each week. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
You must send a saved copy of your filled out Challenge Workbook to firstname.lastname@example.org every week BEFORE the close of business on Mondays (9pm).
The first email must be submitted on or before Monday January 20th and should include your first worksheet and your “before” photos.
Name your file as follows: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME NutritionChallengeWorkbook.xlsx
Example: “Brannon_Jennifer NutritionChallengeWorkbook.xlsx”
WARNING! This rule must be followed and there are no re-dos. Keep the spreadsheet in the original format. Failure to comply will take you out of the running for the prizes.
Now that you know the rules, what’s the reward? Besides improved health and fitness… MONEY!
All the money collected from participants goes into a prize pool. It will be rewarded as follows:
- 1st place wins 50% of the total pool
- 2nd place gets 30%
- 3rd place takes home 20%
How do I win?
Winning is based on 3 factors: points accumulated, change in body composition (as reflected in body measurements and photos), and fitness (as measured by our workout points). Each criteria is worth 33%.
Let’s Do This!
So what do you say? Are you ready to make a positive change in your life?
Make you sure you do the following:
* Sign-up by Close of Business (12pm) Sunday January 12th.
* Read the Approved Foods List.
* Read the Nutrition Challenge Tips.